Saturday, September 25, 2010

I Have to Get More Crafting Time in My Life

The beginning of the school year is pretty crazy. So I should know that my plans to play at night when I get home are all but lost. But every year it is the same story...I don't get as much done at work as I would like so I drag it home. I am exhausted, so I don't actually do much of the needed work...take it back to school. Never ending cycle. (If you are a teacher you are probably nodding in agreement to this)

Back to School Night is done; classroom routines are in place; and I don't feel quite as behind. SO as the title says, " I have to find more crafting time in my life." I have decided that I am going to make myself work on paper projects on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, whether cards, scrapbooks, etc. That will leave me a few days I can drag stuff home and a goal!

On to crafting...

Earlier this summer our friend lost his father to cancer. He was a wonderful man. You can see that fact reflected in his son's life. It seemed that there were many of my friends going through similar losses or anniversaries of a loss about the same time. One of them had posted a wonderful little poem on Facebook.

A Daughter’s Prayer

If sunflowers grow in Heaven Lord,
pick a bunch for me,
place them in my Father’s arms
and tell him they're from me.
Tell him I love and miss him
and when he turns to smile,
place a kiss upon his cheek
and hold him for awhile.
Remembering him is easy,
I do it every day, but there's an ache within my heart
that will never go away...I love and miss you Dad.

(I wish I knew who actually wrote this to give credit.)

I scraplifted, or perhaps craftlifted, this poem along with a design for an easel card with sunflowers to make a series of sympathy cards, for each of the family members, changing the Daughter/Father reference to fit the grandchild, wife, son...Here is one of the finished cards.



I made this card pre-blog, so I did not keep track of paper used or which cricut cartridge made the cuts. Sorry. I will dig around in my cards and see if I can identify the parts. I am pretty sure all of the paper are from Michaels or Joann's standard wracks of loose paper.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful card. Sympathy cards are so difficult. Thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

Beautiful. TFS.

thescrapbookgirl said...

wonderful...very touching

Loraine said...

Beautiful card! I'm an elementary teacher as well so I totally understand where you're coming from! Good luck finding more time to play!!

Stampin' said...

This is beautiful -- both the card and, most especially, the poem. Love the colors. Really "matches" well with the poem...

just2ducky said...

When you discover the secret to more playtime, let me in on it will you?!

Beautiful card and poem. Tfs.

elizabethlusk said...

I love the poem!

Gillian in Old Bar NSW said...

Thank you so much for sharing this poem and sunflower card. Just perfect for my niece in the UK who lost her beloved dad unexpectedly in South Africa last Thursday. I am far away in OZ. Sunflowers are her favourite flowers. God bless and continue to inspire your sharing.