Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend, #1

I have always loved Memorial Day Weekend. The flags on house fronts. The thoughts of patriotism and national pride. The pomp and circumstance of activities like the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I smile at the sense of belonging to something special, something inspiring that these things give to  me.

This morning I visited Face Book and found a link posted for Operation Write Home. I love what these folks are doing. They collect blank, homemade cards, bundle them up, and send them to soldiers fighting overseas, so that they might have something special to write home in. If you have never heard of them, please take a minute to go to their site and look around. Watch the video on the home page. It is truly an inspiration.


My class and I have been sending care packages to a soldier in Afghanistan all year. I will be adding OWH to the list of community service activities that they do throughout the year.

This weekend I plan to spend at least part of my weekend making cards that I can send to OWH.

My challenge to you:
If you make cards - send OWH some this week.
If you scrapbook -  cut up a bit of your papers and make a few cards for the OWH boxes - see my past blog posts about Left Overs for some ideas.
If you do neither - Please consider donating a little cash to help cover postage for the boxes being sent overseas.

When you have created your cards or donated to the cause, please leave a comment on this blog (by Friday, June 3). I will choose one person at random for small thank you gift, and I will be donating $50 in their name to Operation Write Home.
****Blogger is having some difficulty ----post your comments annon. to get it to work.
If you have a blog, or website, please post pictures I would love to see what you do!

In the meantime, have some fun on the Memorial Day Weekend Blog Hop!!!

No comments: