Monday, September 5, 2011

First Days of School

Well, I have to say this happens every year! I get already for the first day of school, and the night before I don't sleep well at all. I even have some funny dreams about forgetting things, being late....(remember the horrible dreams during finals week? - yep ) I guess I am not alone. The discussions in the teachers lounge the first day seem to focus on these funny, reoccurring "nightmares" we all seem to have.

Like I said, I planned. I have been teaching over 20 years and I still cannot get the hang of planning for the first few days. I definitely OVER plan big time. How much you ask? Well, we are still working on an intro "about me" project started on the first day!

Unfortunately this means that I have very few photos to share with you right now. But I can give you the gist of the project.

Using Everyday Paper Dolls, I cut out the "blackout" version of the doll at 7" in several shades of tan and brown (didn't know the skin tone of my students) Then I added faces from Peachy Keen's Everyday Character Faces stamps.


I made clothing, hair, and shoe templates for a similar project last year. Using the 12 x 24 mat and some tag board, I cut a set of hair choices into one piece of tag. Then on a second piece shoes. And clothing onto a third. I have the kids trace their own choices onto white construction paper and color.


My students have finished their little people (dressed to look like themselves the first day of school). Now on to the next step, ME Banners.

Again using thin tag and the larger mat I cut out several templates of Banner #1 from Birthday Bash, as large as I could, trying to fit it to the 12 x 18 construction paper at school.


Here is my sample of the papers cut from the template. I had the students pick their favorite color for the back of the banner.


So this is where we are at the moment. We have our banner forms, and we have our paper dolls. Hopefully Tuesday I will have some final projects to show you.

No comments: