Monday, April 2, 2012

Garden, Garden How Will You Grow?

I am taking a departure from crafting this weekend to focus on my veggie garden. I am a bit slow starting it this year, but that is ok. I think waiting was a good thing. Our city trash system includes separating items for recycling. They also compost as much of the yard waste as possible. Yesterday, they gave away one huge semi trailer full of compost to residents. We just had to come out with our containers to collect our share.

The line to get into the give away, 15 minutes prior to the start.


We are almost there.


Yeah, we get our share of the wonderful compost.

I have to say, right here and now, that my hubby is the best!!! He has been cleaning out my veggie boxes and getting them ready for me to plant. He puts in a lot of hard work so that I can do the easy part, plant seeds and water the plants...


Today, the left bed was ready for me. He worked on the right hand bed, and I got to plant my first seeds. It has been about 4 years since I have had a garden, so I am really excited. I use the Square Foot Gardening method. SFG is a way of planting vegetables in a small garden to maximize space. You can learn more in the book Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

I planted carrots, radishes, beets, cabbage, kale, and spinach this afternoon. I used a ruler to eyeball my square foot and the handle of my hand rake to make holes according to the SFG spacing guide. Each seed is now nestled in its bed, with a big drink of water.



I got 6 x 2 squares planted today. Tomorrow I will try to get a few more done. And now the hard part comes, waiting for the plants to show above ground.

No comments: