Saturday, March 23, 2024

Project Quilting 15.6

The last Project Quilting Challenge theme of the year was announced last Sunday, the 17th. So, naturally it was I an Irish Chain theme. The traditional Irish Chain is typically a play on a nine-patch block. 

Simple Irish Chain



I chose to head down a more Celtic style chain. My talented husband has been sketching an intricate chain design since he was an early teen. It started as a design on wallpaper in his doctor's office and morphed into an intricate design.  

The shape of the larger chain and the design inside the outer arms
 is the simple version of what he had created. 


I have wanted to try to recreate his design as a quilt. I pulled out several shades of green from my Cherrywood Fabric stash, cut a stack of 2.5" squares (keeping the traditional block in mind) and built. I loved quilting the ribbons with different textures.

 

Although some of the proportions are a bit off, I think it is a pretty good first try. I have a few ideas on how to improve the piecing. So be on the lookout for another Chain quilt in the near future. 

4 comments:

Kathy E. said...

Wow! This is so cool! What an amazing idea to use your talented husband's sketching as a design to make into a quilt and it's perfect for this week's challenge. Great work!

Danice G said...

What a gorgeous table runner. You did an excellent job on it.

Danette said...

A very lovely table runner!

PersimonDreams said...

so beautiful! You did great work!