Saturday, August 28, 2010

My first Blog Hop and a Treasure Box “found”

I am so excited to be a part of my first Blog Hop. For my friends that are not familiar with a Blog Hop, it is an organized series of Blogs. Participants "hop" or travel from one blog to the next, reading posts and commenting on the bloggers work or thoughts. Some will be offering "blog candy" or prizes to a lucky visitor.

All of the bloggers involved have decided to do a special project using our Cricut Circle member exclusive cartridge “French Manor.” I really like the objects on this cartridge. They have a fun, old timey, old world look to them. Even though I love the cartridge finding a way to put it to use in my 3rd grade classroom was a bit daunting. Why for my classroom? If you read my previous post you would know I have also decided to challenge myself to try using all of my Cricut cartridges in my classroom. I finally came up with an idea while setting up my classroom this week; redo my “Treasure Box.” It is just a small plastic storage box with the pencils, erasers; silly bands… my students get to choose from when they do something special.


I used my Gypsy to weld), the layer of willkommen (pg 75), and the layer of merci (pg 76) to create an outline for the treasure chest. Then I welded just the center of the screen shape (pg 54) to add some detail. Originally I planned to just cut this out in brown vinyl and adhere it to the box. The lid and box are clear so you could see the goodies through the paper trial I had cut. I did not like that, so I enlarged the outline shape to cut a gold solid shape go behind the chest. While I was at it I cut a keyhole (pg 63) for the chest and another for my box side. This is the first time I have worked with vinyl. I had some problems with bubbles. There was so much solid area on both layers. I figure, since pirate’s chest of gold are usually old and battered my blemishes just help give it a beat up look. I finished the chest off by adding “Treasure” cut at 3” in the Storybook thin Font.




I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog. It is new but growing. Please use the links below to keep hopping.

Jana http://imneverbored.blogspot.com/


Bobbi Jo http://sweetsassydiva-gspot.blogspot.com/


Beth http://seaswancreations.blogspot.com/

QuiltFrog’s Blog – YOU ARE HERE

Michele http://greengirlscraps.blogspot.com/


Kristen http://fantabulouslypink.blogspot.com/


Sherrie http://impressionableart.blogspot.com/


Lori http://scrappinmystressaway.blogspot.com/

Gaby http://scrapabookaholic.blogspot.com/

31 comments:

Ohhh Snap said...

That is awesome! It really does look like a treasure chest :D. Oh you could make key to success bookmarks to go with it lol. It looks great and the kids are going to love it :D. TFS!

Jana said...

I love this, what a great idea.

Abby said...

I love it!!!!!

jennyplace2 said...

What a nice way to spruce up a plastic tub. Great job. Love it!

Jo said...

Very clever ... I'm sure your students will love it!

Jo xx

Brenda said...

Great idea!!
brz352@yahoo.com

Ashleigh said...

tfs I love it!

aecopenhaver at gmail dot com

Laurieinaz said...

Very creative. I have got to learn to use the Gypsy.

Emily said...

GREAT idea! I may have to make something like this for my classroom :)

coolcricutcreations at yahoo dot com

Wende said...

So clever! Your "treasure box" looks great. Makes me think of other things to take from ordinary to fab. Thanks for the ideas!

IRW Dana said...

What a wonderful idea. My daughter teaches 1st & 2nd grade so this would be a great idea for her. Thanks for the inspiration. papermemories4u(at)yahoo(dot)com

chignon said...

I love your idea to embellish a box for treasures. I sure your students will enjoy visiting it! It looks fantastic.
vosstin at gmail dot com

Gramjak said...

TREASURE CHESTS are really great motivational tools -- and I know your students will LOVE this one. Pirate treasures are found within. Do good work and you will get to choose a prize.. that's a wonderful incentive for 3rd graders!
Thanks for sharing your vinyl efforts -- I've been too chicken, but you've given me courage to try it out!

Gaby ~ Scrapabookaholic said...

Super creative!!! Great idea!!!

If you read this can you please ask Lori to change the link to my blog, it is missing an a, she is sending people to the wrong place
scrapabookaholic.blogspot.com

scrapaholicjen said...

Great idea, thank you for sharing!

jayma15 said...

NICE!! I really love it!

spunkygirl61@hotmail.com

onescraphappymomma said...

This is a very unique idea! You should submit this for the contest!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! The kids will love knowing that there are 'treasures' for them doing something good!
Gale
gemolisee@aol.com

Connie said...

I think you kids are going to love it!! Thanks for sharing.

Jodie R said...

Your kids are going love this box! It makes me want to take a peek inside at all the treasures too! Very nice and great way to think "outside" the box! No pun intended! LOL!

Sparksgal said...

Your kids will love it! Love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the hop and this is one cute idea!

Penny
pennyspad@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Very cool project!

bethdoc

Sherrie said...

This is a great use of the cartridge! I love how your project turned out! TFS

Mrs. Green said...

This is a great idea! I wasn't sure how I would ever use this in my library but this is GREAT!

darlene said...

great idea, I'm going to pass it on to a teacher friend.

FroggieStamps said...

Very cute!! :)

Marey said...

What a great idea! I love it !

Kristen said...

That is a great Idea. I love it you did an awesome job with your project for the blog hop.

Happy that I was a part of the hop with you.

Anonymous said...

I am getting remote desktop connection going,
for any computers in the same network.. The catch is, my computer
(Windows 7) will not seem to register the other computers on the network.
.. Can anybody point me within the direction which may
solve this issue?. The other computers are xp, if that
makes a positive change.. Another computers are xp, if which makes
a difference..

Feel free to visit my web page transvaginal mesh lawyers

Anonymous said...

I do trust all of the ideas you've presented in your post. They're very convincing
and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too
brief for newbies. Could you please prolong them a
little from next time? Thank you for the post.

my weblog: http://www.emule-help.net