Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things - Seasonal Treats


Elly's Candy, Snickerdoodles, and Tea Time Tidbits.

I love to bake! Christmas is a great excuse to dig out many of my grandmother's recipes and whip up several batches of our favorites. It has become a tradition to box up all of my brother's favorites and give them as part of his Christmas gift each year. So this past weekend had me cooking up several batches of Snickerdoodles, Tea Time Tidbits (aka Mexican Wedding Cakes, or Russian Tea Cakes), and something we call Elly's Candy, named after my great aunt Elly. I have included the recipes in my grandmother's handwriting.



In the picture above, I used sliced, toasted almonds for Elly's Candy. I also use chopped pecans for this recipe.

Our family also has a traditional drink mix to make this time of year, Moondust Tea, also known as Orange Spice Tea.

Moondust Tea Recipe:
2 c. Tang
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 - 2/3 c. Country Time Lemonaid Mix
3/4 c. Instant Tea (no sweetner or lemon flavoring)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground Cloves

Mix and store in sealed container. 1-2 tsp mix in 8 oz. hot water and ENJOY!

Finally, one of my favorite seasonal drinks is the Gingerbread Latte at Starbucks. I can usually keep my willpower intact most of the year when it comes to spending $4+ for Starbucks. But as soon as Gingerbread season hits, you will find me looking for any excuse to get to a Starbucks for a Gingerbread Latte. The Cricut Circle has started a photography challenge thread. The second challenge was focal point and favorite snack. I chose to photograph a Gingerbread Latte. Here is my entry.


No comments: