Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Bit of Comfort on a Rainy Day

Before I get to my topic, can I just say, I am so glad it is Friday evening. I am exhausted. My students were quite wound up after the 3 day weekend and then 2 days of rainy day scheduling (indoor recess...) I have been enjoying quiet and calm at home this evening.

Now that I have that off my chest, I am going to share a bit of what I think of as comfort food. It may seem funny to you. I am a Scots - Portuguese California native that finds everyday Japanese food to be comfort food. I lived in Japan for 2 years while in my mid-twenties. And yet I find myself at times thinking "when I was growing up in Japan." I suppose in some ways I did. I learned a great deal about myself while I was there. I love the culture, the people and the landscape.

Tonight, while wandering the grocery store aisles, I decided to make Okonomiyaki. It is a regional food found in cafes and train stations. It is a savory cabbage pancake. So I grabbed a coleslaw mix (shredded green and purple cabbage, with carrots) and a bell pepper. I had the rest of the stuff needed at home. Typically the mixture included shrimp or thin slices of meat such as ham/bacon. I am not a huge fish fan, so I dug through the fridge at home to add some tasty ingredients of my own. There was crumbled bacon, diced bell pepper, a bit of grated ginger and chopped garlic, and some cubed fresh mozzarella.


Oishii desu! (Delicious) I haven't made this in awhile but have to remember it is quite quick and simple. And YUMMY!

Here is the website I used for the recipe. I used regular flour, no starch additive. It was fine. Make sure not to over mix though. I was making only one for myself, I did cut the batch in half and it was perfect. Love the variations on this page.

I like it with the sauce they recommend.


Easy Okonomi Sauce Recipe:
Mix 3 tbs of ketchup, with 1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce, with 1 tsp of Soy Sauce. 
(Taken from Okonomiyaki World site)


On an artistic note, I sent out my first Etegami. I found some watercolor postcards in my stash of art supplies. I painted another umbrella and sent it off with a quick note to my mother in law. It is definitely winter and wet where she is outside Seattle. So a bit of color should bring a smile to her face.


6 comments:

L.B. said...

The dish looks yummy...will have to try that soon.

I love this postcard you did. So pretty.

Jan said...

Love your etagami. Is that kanji for umbrella?

And thanks for sharing this recipe. We eat lots of Japanese food (my husband is sansei) but we've never tried Okonomiyaki. It sounds delicious & I plan to make it this week.

QuiltFrog said...

Jan, it is Kanji for rain. As for Okonomiyaki. I think it is a bit of a regional food. It is fairly quick and easy.

~JarieLyn~ said...

Love the umbrella.

Jan said...

Thanks again for that oishi recipe. My family didn't think it sounded very good but I made it anyway & they absolutely loved it!

nancy said...

hello~
i am NANCY come from Taiwan
a postcrosser too
i am sorry that i send you a package last week
would you got it >''<
i am so worry it will lost
can you send a message would you got it ?
thank you so much