Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How to Make a Simple Photo Board or Backdrop

After searching around for a Photo Tent or backdrop to use at home, I hunted for “How To’s” online. Many required more tools and materials than I had around the house. I did find some white foam core board that might work. It was a 20” x 30” board. To this I incorporated some of the techniques I found online.


1. Measure in from the short side 15 inches (1/2 the width) in several spots making guide marks with a craft knife. Then using a metal ruler cut 2/3 of the way through the board. Do not cut through the whole thing.

2. Gently fold the board toward the uncut side, creasing the backing paper.

3. Set the board on the table with the uncut side facing up. Along this fold line run a strip of white Duck Tape to strengthen it.

4. Fold the board again, and run a second strip of tape along one half of the board, folded across the cut edges of the board(s) and across the other board.

5. Mark a 10” x 12” cardboard (backing from a pad of paper) diagonally. And using scissors, cut along this line.

6. Cut a line 1 – 1 ½ “ in from the straight (not diagonal) side of each triangle. Be careful not to cut all the way through

7. Add a strip of Duck Tape to the uncut side of the triangle to strengthen the fold

8. Use adhesive strips to adhere 1” strip of each triangle to the folded board. Short side should line up with but not go past the cut edge of the foam core board. I folded my board before attaching my triangles (easels)

9. You are ready to shoot your first pictures. Be sure to provide lighting from beside the board. – In my example below I only had one light to the left, but I would recommend one on each side if possible.

More about this project in an upcoming post.

No comments: