Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Damask Birthday Wishes

I found a box on my front porch today with a few cartridges I just ordered. Kind of like an early birthday present! I ordered Father's Day, Everyday Pop-Up Cards, and Damask Decor. Naturally I had to play with at least one cart, so I chose the Damask cart. At first I just thought they were beautiful scroll work. Then I discovered that the centers of the last 10 designs had an "icon" of different sorts. I found a cupcake among the mix, which of course fits perfectly with my Birthday Week.



I was not quite sure how to put these together, as the example project was for a card cut, not the layers. So, I just cut one of everything to try setting them out several ways and see what works.

I discovered that the main cut and the cut + shift fit nicely together. Each of the layer cuts and their shift cuts also fit nicely as a shadows for each other. However, the + shift cuts for the layers do not work as well with the main cut and shift cut.

With the help of a color wheel, starting with the red paper. I chose the Triad color combo (orange triangle in center).

The card base is an ivory 5 x 6.5 inch card. The mat is a piece of printed card stock from an old mat stack. I trimmed the length by 1/4 inch and then inked the edges in a dark green.


The Damask Cupcake cut was at 4.5 inches. I used a bunch of scraps to make this. the candle, cupcake top and "wrapper" are highlighted in Clear Star Gellyroll pen. The pearl drop bling was left over from an some embellishments I bought for a wedding album. It fit perfectly over the teardrop shaped cut in this design.


Then I tried the "Card" cut at 4.5 inches too.



I have to say that I really like all of the cuts I have looked at in this cartridge. It has a lot of potential as a background, an accent and as a main cut for a card or layout.

Don't forget to comment on the posts this week. I have lots of fun things to give away.

7 comments:

DonnaGravel said...

What a pretty card. I have the hardest time choosing colors, I guess I need to invest in one of those color wheel things.

Cindy said...

Wow, I love that last card. I didn't have any interest in this cartridge, but I may have to take another look. That cupcake is beautiful. Love the way you used it. Oh and Happy Birthday!

Mrs. Green said...

Oh, that cupcake card is awesome! Please don't make me have to buy this cart - I really don't want it!!! LOL... :)

Josie0602 said...

Beautiful card! Have fun with your new goodies!

Nana's Paper Things said...

Beautiful card and I love the stamp with the frog!
LizW in TX

onescraphappymomma said...

Beautiful card. This cartridge is definitely on my wish list!

Kris said...

Cute card. I just got that cart and can't wait to play with it.